Sunday, July 17, 2011

Oven finally goes in

Now, not all of this is the fault of Lowes, but I don't think I will do any appliance shopping with them again.  I originally bought the oven telling them I want them to deliver it only.  I later changed my mind and purchased the install.

I had known that the new oven was not as tall as the old vintage 80's oven.  Since the cabinets were going to be painted, I didn't see this as an issue.  Just put in a trim piece and paint it.  Well, when the installers came (late), they said their boss would not allow them to put in a trim piece larger than 3".  This opening is about 7" or 8".

After going back and forth with the people at Lowes, they suggested that their cabinet guy could do the build out and install the oven.  (Note: I am skipping the several steps it took to get to that point and just giving the outcome of that entire process).  The cabinet guy comes out and says that he needs to put a 1/2" piece on the side (fine, I agree) and the top trim piece.  He also wants to move the electrical outlet to be at the top of the cabinet implying that it is "code" (This sounds expensive).  He leaves.

The quote comes in the next day. $592!!!  I decided not to go with Lowes.

My contractor's electrician was able to install the oven, he built in a shelf (soon to be a folding down cabinet door), he trimmed everything else out, an he didn't need to move the outlet to the top of the cabinet because the shelf is now effectively the top of the cabinet.

All this for less than half of what Lowes wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment